green with envy


Wednesday, September 28, 2011

.ch-ch-ch-changes...

Well, here we go again. I love autumn. It's my favorite season of all, I think. Although I also love the spring, autumn just seems to put some sort of electricity in the air. A sort of excitement somehow. Maybe it's because my birthday is in the fall? I dunno, but the colors, the smells, the change of temperatures.. they all work together to make me feel a little bit energized.

And maybe it's because of it that seems like every time we make big changes around the house, it'll be in the fall. Tommy says that's because it's hunting season and I want to keep him busy (so he can't go!) But I swear, that's not it! ;) It just somehow always happens that way.

I haven't posted much at all about the mega changes we're making in the house, but we are doing TONS of work around here. First, we're FINALLY putting a porch on the end of the house. It faces due east and is the door we use most often as it comes into the kitchen and is where the drive ends. We have a metal half-glass door there with one of those plastic grids and then a storm door. The heat from the direct sunlight cause all the paint on the door to peel and that plastic grid to warp, crack and finally break. We've replaced it about three times in the 17 or so years it's been there. I've put dark sheets over the storm door (a real lovely look -- not) to try and keep the heat off the door and we contemplated buying special tint but the heat is relentless. So, we're finally putting on the porch, or rather the roof on the porch. I'll try to post some pictures because the change it makes in the look of the place is awesome. We're thrilled with it so far.

Keep in mind when I say "we're putting on the porch" or painting or remodeling, I mean WE, as in my super-handy husband and myself!! Actually, a good friend of his has been helping him with the porch, but the majority of the work is done by Tommy. I'm SO thankful he's so knowledgeable & able to do all this stuff!

Since the porch deal meant extending the roof on one side, they had to get to the actual beams of the house, which means there's a couple of places in my kitchen and utility room walls that have been cracked. Which yes, means we have to repair those... and paint.

Painting. I hate it. But there's NOTHING that can change the look of a room more... and therefore, we've done TONS of it in this house. The inside of our windows are wood. And that means I have to paint them too if I change the trim color... which I almost always do. *sigh* I detest those daggone windows! But paint them I will if it means getting a fresh new kitchen. ;)

You see, we aren't the only ones making major changes in our living space. My mom & dad are building a new house on the hill behind us. Yeah, I know... lovely, so they can watch our every move even closer, but ... ANYway... when they move out, my boys + daughter-in-law, are buying their old house, plus dad's business, so they'll be moving too!

Mom is giving me some furniture, which is another reason we have to paint. She's giving me a really nice cherry living room set that is lots "fancier" than the rest of my furniture, so the super-pile o' stuff that has been my living room, containing my piano, the now-since-a-laptop unused computer desk, a couple of packed bookshelves, and stuff that had no other place to live, will become a nice "formal" living room!! Yep, that means getting all that crap out of here!

She's also giving me a set of bedroom furniture that I'll put in Corey's old room, which has been piled even worse than the living room; a jam-packed bookshelf, his old dresser piled with tons of stuff from his wedding (3 yrs ago!), a cabinet full of old school stuff, a microwave cart full of craft stuff, a couple of plastic bin/drawers full of more craft stuff... and the floor piled high with just STUFF!

We've decided we have too much stuff. And we've moved almost ALL of it out to the shop where Tommy put the two ramps of his lift together and raised them to table-height so I can go out there and sort. We moved the shelves & cabinets out there, too and I plan to toss & give away or sell SO much stuff!!!

Casey's room, when he moves into his basement "apartment" with Corey and Mel in the upstairs of the house, will become my craft room, where I plan to scrapbook to my heart's content!! :) I've collected scrapping stuff for YEARS and never once put a page together... because every time I tried, I was just overwhelmed and so unsure of exactly how to do it.

My dear cousin Lorna was in from Texas a couple weeks ago, and she is an avid scrapper, so she walked me through putting together a couple of pages and so I feel like I can actually DO this now... and once I have the space, I want to FINALLY do the boys' books and a wedding book for Corey and Melissa. I cannot WAIT!! :)

I'm now in the process of painting that future "formal" living room a deep chocolate brown color. Over a very light beige? It looks so crappy with the first coat, but the second covers very well. We're using an off white trim color and it makes the doors & windows really pop against the brown. I'm having a horrid time trying to cut in the walls against the ceiling though. Gah! It's cathedral in there, so it's all at an angle, which makes it hard to see where the wall stops & ceiling starts, plus it's all popcorn finish.. I'm gonna have to spend A LOT of time touching up the white. Lord willing, it won't take three coats to cover. *sigh* I'm gonna get me some THICK white paint! :)

Okay, so I'm going now. I keep running in here to finish this up between painting-on-the-ladder sessions. I get so fed up with how it's going, I have to have a break! *sigh* Oh well... the sooner I get that done, the sooner Tommy can use that huge 18" roller & get the rest of the paint done. With four doors & two windows, there's a ton of trimming, so I really have to get my butt in gear!!

Til next time....

Blessings,
G~

No comments:

Post a Comment